The Funny Thing about Physical Therapy

Physical Therapy is the worst game of Simon Says there ever was.

Details: Exactly 4 weeks after spending 4 days in a hospital with a terrifying mystery virus, I started feeling soreness in my shoulders and legs as I put the kids to bed. When I woke up the next morning I couldn't lift my left foot off the ground or raise my arms above shoulder-height.

So after ruling out stroke, heart attack, arthritis, autoimmune disorders, trauma, injury, deep vein thrombosis, urinary tract infection, and probably 12 other things, they let me go home with an order to see a physical therapist to try to regain the function in my legs.

The funny thing about physical therapy is- it's like mandatory optional torture. Do you want to get better? Then side-step 15 times with this rubber band around your legs. Do you want to walk again? Then lift your legs 10 times, and again 10 times, and now do it with a ball between you knees, and now with another rubber band around your knees.

The weird thing is, you could always say no. In fact, your reasonable brain tells you STOP THIS IT'S NUTS. But you don't say no. You want to walk again. No matter what it takes. So whatever that woman says, you do it. Even if her name isn't even Simon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Funny Thing about Getting Better

The Funny Thing about Hospitilizations